It seems that every year around this time people party and make resolutions for the coming year. But as one who used to do this regularly, and was regularly frustrated by my lack of ability to make my resolutions stick, it begins to seem to me as more of a time of wishmaking for the coming year: I hope I lose 10 pounds this year, I wish I could become that loving, caring person everyone seems to like, I wish…, I hope…, and on and on it goes. So here are my New Year’s Wishes:
- Daily practice. It may seem ludicrous to you that this is one of my resolutions (*ahem* wishes). After all, you may think, she is already a musician, studying voice in college. Of course she practices!! But I am sad (and somewhat shamefaced) to tell you that such is not the case. It is rare (actually ‘nonexistent’ is probably a more accurate description) to have a week where I actually practice every day. And that’s just Voice I’m talking about. This coming semester I am also taking piano. And practicing Piano is a joke in my life. 😛 So my first resolution is daily practice of Voice and Piano. Ok, maybe excluding Sundays. 😉
- Exercise regularly. My friends tell me I’m skinny, and it’s not that I don’t believe them, it’s just that I think I could be a bit thinner. And the best way to keep from getting fat later is to keep in shape now. Plus, I can count some exercise as part of my practice.
- Learn Italian. My Mom got me Rosetta Stone so I could learn Italian. And it’s been sitting around while I don’t do anything with it for a while now. And I can count some of this as Voice practice too.
- Blog at least once a week. I feel so bad when I totally forget all you lovely people out there. I don’t have time to blog every day. I wish I did. But if I blog at least once a week, I can at least keep tabs on life.
- Be tidier. Those of you who don’t know me personally don’t know that I live my life in an organized mess. Now I personally happen to think my method works well. However there are those who disagree with my methodology. So I’m going to try to placate them. 😛
- Finish my book. I started it in November but soon ran out of time to work on it and was unable to finish it during November for NaNoWriMo. I have about 12,000 words so far (out of the goal of 50,000). And if I finish that in good time I have several other novels and short stories started but left to wither until I find time to work on them.
- My 7th wish may seem strange to many of you: it is to not fall in love unless I’m sure he’s the one. I’m tired of playing the dating game and even more tired of playing the break-up game. So until I think he’s the one, my aim is to steer clear of love.
- Love my God more. Last, but certainly not least, I actually agree with Gretel in The Sound of Music and view this as the most important of my resolutions. God is there, even though I can’t see Him. In fact, He controls everything that ever happens. He is the most powerful being in the entire universe. A relationship with Him is by far the most important thing I could ever cultivate.
So what are your resolutions for this coming year?