Almost a year ago I bought a single skein of silk laceweight yarn. It was expensive, but I couldn’t help myself. The colours reminded me of the desert where I grew up – reds, oranges, and yellows. Home. This yarn was special and it needed to be knit up into a special project. And I had the perfect shawl pattern in mind…except I needed twice as much yarn as I had. So I began a search for a new pattern.
After a long and strenuous search on Ravelry I knew I was not going to find the perfect pattern. So rather than settle for imperfection I decided to make my own pattern. My shawl is based on Elizabeth Zimmermann’s Pi Shawl – every time the row number is doubled, the stitch count is doubled. I cast on, knit for a while, increased, knit for even longer, and then started a lace stitch pattern I had found.
And then the shawl sat neglected for…a long time. I came back to it a few days ago to find that 1) it hadn’t knit itself (darn!), and 2)the stitch pattern was a lot easier than I remember it being. Needless to say, I’ve been making some good progress on it over the last few days, and I couldn’t be more thrilled with how it is turning out!