About a year ago a friend gave me a few pieces of fabric. One of them was a very thin green knit printed with paisleys. I thought it would be a perfect summer shirt, but didn’t have a pattern in mind, so it sat waiting to be made up for almost a year. A few days ago, looking for a quick project, I pulled the fabric out to finally make my shirt.
I took my bust and hip measurements, added 2″ to both front and back, and cut out a trapezoid. I pinned the fabric together to make sure it would work, then sewed up the sides. After some more pinning I was ready to sew the shoulders. I adjusted the shoulder and side seams until I was happy, then put the shirt on inside out to draw the arm holes how I wanted them. I’m super low-tech, so I used a sharpie (which did bleed through to the front a little, but only on fabric that I planned to turn under for the hem).
After that it was time to cut the arm holes, pin the hems, and turn the hems under. As a finishing touch I added bra strap guards and a piece of ribbon at the back neck center for ease of dressing. To help the cowl neck hang well I also added a bead at the center front about 1″ below the edge.
This shirt only took a night and a day to make, and it looks great. I call that a win.