Today I write about the selfsame cowl, fully completed.
I originally planned to knit the cowl with 1/3 of the length in silk hankies and the other 2/3 in mohair. As I was knitting the mohair section I was distressed to see that I was using up my yarn much more quickly than planned. So I changed my plan, ripped out the mohair, and bound off in the silk. Thus my cowl is done and I couldn’t be more pleased!
I’m writing the pattern as we speak, so if you are interested in testing, leave a comment with your Ravelry username and I will contact you.
Half Granny Shawl: I am surprised by how much I enjoy this and how easy it is to work on. It’s growing by the day.
Rumplestiltskin yarn: My singles are spun, and I’m 1/3-1/2 done with plying. The main hurdle is stringing 63,871,688 beads. It’s so pretty, though, that it’s worth it. Pattern suggestions for when it’s done? I’m thinking a shawl.
This has been a happening week! Several things are almost done. Do you ever do that thing where you only need to put in an hour or 2 of work to get a beautiful finished object, and yet for some reason it languishes unfinished? I have a sweater that only needs a neck modification to be perfect, and yet it has sat in my drawer for months. It is madness, I tell you!
Exhibit A: Pink Floyd Socks
We see the first sock finished except for a heel, which I have since begun (but not finished)
Exhibit B: Rumplestiltskin yarn
This is actually a partial success. I had just a few lengths of fiber left to spin, and it is now all spun up! I now need to string eighty jillion beads, because I am going the whole way with this yarn. It is going to be amazing.
I hope for it to look like this. Except, you know, yellow.
Progress on the yellow yarn was imperiled by a crack in the pulley on my spinning wheel. I emailed Majacraft (the maker) and they said I could glue it, so glue it I did. It’s terrifying to think your precious wheel might be falling apart!
Do you ever wake up in the middle of the night, and then you can’t go back to sleep again? That was me last night – er – this morning. Finally I gave up on sleep and let my mind wander. I was wondering about a few things I got out of the stash last night.
I bought a stack of mawata silk hankies a year or so ago, started knitting something, and realized that I didn’t have enough to finish. Very sad panda. I can’t replicate the colours or the texture with another yarn, so I was stumped. I realized this morning that I can pair it with another yarn that is very dissimilar to highlight their differences. More on this later. I’m hoping to make it into a pattern.
There’s only so much I can do on a design without swatching…so I started thinking about other colour combinations. A coworker is having a baby in a few months and I’ve decided to make a scrappy Baby Surprise Jacket.
All together I have about 2 full skeins of fingering weight yarn from stash. Hopefully this will be enough to make a stripey sweater.