You don’t know me. We haven’t met. Yet. Maybe one day that can happen.
I just wanted to write and say thank you.
The first time I encountered you was in a library several years ago during a not-so-good time of my life. I had recently lost a family member, and my home life was not great. Books have long been my refuge, so where else would I go to escape than my local library? I am a life-long crafter, and I come from a long line of crafty ladies. My mom tried to teach me to crochet when I was little, but it never took. So I drifted along, sewing this, beading that, painting, etc. But I had not learned to knit. Yet.
Anyway, I took my troubled self to the library to forget my familial woes. While browsing through the crafting section I saw a book called “Knitting Rules.” It seemed like a good start. And so I picked up the book that would change my life. Even though I was not yet a knitter you spoke to me in that book. I laughed when you laughed, your frustrations were mine, and that afternoon you helped me forget my troubles.
For that, I thank you.
I would like to say that I became a dedicated knitter there and then, but I didn’t. It took several years for me to finally pick up some knitting needles and give it a whirl. But I can say that I am now well and truly hooked. And I blame it all on you.
Thank you for writing about life as it truly is. Thank you for being more than just a knitter or a writer. Thank you for all your efforts to make the world a better place, whether it’s raising a beautiful family, knitting for charity, or your yearly bike marathon. You inspire me, not just to knit (although you definitely inspire me to do that), but to be a better person and make this world a better place.
I hope someday I can be just like you.
Wow! You know those things you’ve heard about and even thought about, but never ever thought would happen to you? Well it did. And it was a good thing! I was awarded the Versatile Blogger Award!! Basically, this award was created to give credit to the normal little blogging peeps (and, yes, I did just use that word) like you and me who normally get overlooked. I think it’s a fabulous idea! Once you’ve been given the award you pass it on to other bloggers (up to 15), so, theoretically, given enough time, every blogger in the world could be awarded! Now, if you’re like me, you realize that if everybody gets the award that no longer makes any one person who receives it any more special or important than anyone else. But what the award does do is show you that at least 1 person reads what you write and enjoys it. And to a blogger with any size readership, the knowledge that what you write is appreciated is priceless.
So first of all, I’d like to thank the Risible Rambler for giving me this award (http://therisiblerambler.wordpress.com/).
Second, here are several blogs I enjoy that I hope you will too:
And the third instruction given along with the award is to share 7 facts about yourself. So here we go:
- My favourite books are The Lord of the Rings, The Children of Hurin (both by J.R.R. Tolkien), and Jane Eyre (by Charlotte Brontë).
- While my favourite genres of music are Opera and its closely related fellow, art song, I enjoy Broadway way too much for my own good. 😉
- Some of my favourite movies of all time are The Scarlet Pimpernel with Anthony Andrews, Jane Seymour, and Ian McKellen, and The Last of the Mohicans with Daniel Day-Lewis, Madeleine Stowe, and Russell Means.
- I’ve already shared with you my passion for tatting, but really, I’m just an artsy type of person that enjoys a zillion-and-one crafts including painting, macramé, and beading.
- My favourite era of musical composition is early Romantic – with Franz Schubert and Gaetano Donizetti at the top of the list.
- My favourite Soprano of all time is Maria Callas. She lived in the mid-1900s and almost single-handedly transformed the world of opera as we knew it by realizing the importance of acting as well as singing. My favourite living Sopranos are Renee Fleming and Inessa Galante.
- I adore music theory – strange, I know, but true. Modern music especially has a fond place in my heart.
I am now officially a blogger. Never thought I’d see the day. I always thought of bloggers as weirdos who didn’t have a social life, who decided to make a life for themselves on the net. Boy, was I ever wrong!! Blogging, I now realize, is just another way to express one’s self in another medium to (potentially) more people.
Now me, I sometimes have troubles just operating my computer! (I’m just glad I have a PC, so if anything goes wrong I can simply restart it. Gotta love Windows!) And have you any idea how many projects and stories I’ve started only to leave them unfinished lying around somewhere just begging to be completed? So when I started thinking about starting a blog, my immediate thought was, “Me??? I mean, I’ll probably forget about it and never update it. And I’m not a good enough writer. No one will ever read it. Do I even know how to write a blog? What am I getting myself into??” So I ask your pardon in advance, dear Readers, if I bore you or (which may be the more likely of the two) if I fail to remember to update this site regularly. I send my thanks to anyone who stops by to read my little blog, and I hope you will find it enjoyable.