The Beginning and the End

A few months ago I was lying in bed unable to sleep. I started thinking about yarn (as you do) and some beautiful silk hankies I had in my stash. As I lay there I came up with a plan to write a pattern and use my beautiful silk hankies. I consulted my stitch dictionary and selected my lace patterns, and then I cast on. The initial cowl turned out quite lovely, but I ran out of hankies before the cowl was done. So I pulled out another batch of hankies and knit a second cowl. It is done just in time to take pictures for the pattern.

1

Did I mention that I’m publishing the pattern on Ravelry (Not that I’m super proud and excited or anything)? It will be called Raindrops and Wildflowers and I am releasing the pattern on Saturday, July 1. Eeeeeeee!!!

Watch this space. There will be a discount code.

Fastest Spin Ever!

Next time I’m in the middle of 5 large projects with no end in sight remind me of the week I finished ALL THE THINGS! Also, remind me to spin a few Rainbow Rolls because those things spin up FAST!

A month or two ago I bought two Rainbow Rolls because they were on sale and I was curious. A Rainbow Roll is a roll of predrafted, unspun fiber. It’s 2″ thick and about the size of a dinner plate.

noro

After I finished my Rumplestiltskin yarn I needed a palate cleanser, and this seemed like a quick spin. I had no idea how quick it would be though. Here’s what I had after an hour.

first

The next day I finished spinning my singles (2 1/2 bobbins worth).

bobbins

I plied the yarn (first time plying from 2 separate bobbins! Woohoo!), and now I have 3 beautiful skeins!

skeins

It’s like a magic trick! Tadah!

Archeology

Dragged up from the depths of my stash, here we see a project started 3 years ago or more. I was poor and had recently started knitting. I kept seeing pictures of people with yarn bowls, but with no money to buy one I decided to make my own. After a quick google search I came up with this: cotton rope wrapped with yarn. Every inch or so I would wrap the row underneath to hold the thing together.

This project came and went and spent a lot of time hibernating. When I pulled it out on Sunday it only needed another 30 minutes of work. Tadah! Instant satisfaction.

My husband decided to wear it as a hat. I think he looks rather fetching. But then again, I am rather biased.

hat

On the non-crafting front, I just bought the world’s most beautiful tea kettle.

Oh, ummmm. Ignore all that wool. It’s just from Three Waters Farm. It’s not amazing or anything. *You are distracted by the tea kettle*

Change of Plans

The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men
          Gang aft agley
~ from To A Mouse by Robert Burns
Yesterday I wrote about my Raindrops and Wildflowers cowl that was not quite done.
Today I write about the selfsame cowl, fully completed.
I originally planned to knit the cowl with 1/3 of the length in silk hankies and the other 2/3 in mohair. As I was knitting the mohair section I was distressed to see that I was using up my yarn much more quickly than planned. So I changed my plan, ripped out the mohair, and bound off in the silk. Thus my cowl is done and I couldn’t be more pleased!

I’m writing the pattern as we speak, so if you are interested in testing, leave a comment with your Ravelry username and I will contact you.

Sweater

It’s done.

Let me say that again. IT’S DONE!!!!! The sweater that has been lurking at me for 5 stinking months. Is. Done!!

On Friday I finished the body.

Saturday I washed and blocked the thing.

Sunday was a day for sewing up. And boy did I get a lot done. My first ever set in sleeves! (I’m really glad I knit the body all in one piece, or there would have been even more sewing to do) Here you see my progress as the day went on.

I bought buttons.

And then I faced the reality of the button bands. I’ve never done button bands before. I hate them. The pattern suggests picking up around 460 stitches. Each row takes me half an hour! At least there are only 4 rows and a cast off.

5

How is it that the finishing takes so much time?

buttons

Since this is a gift I embroidered a tag.

tag

Tadah! All done!!

sweater

Pattern: Perry by Michelle Wang

Yarn: Knit Picks Swish Worsted in Rainforest Heather

Needles: US 5, 8, 9

Farrah

Punky
Farrah is done!

Pattern: Farrah by the Berroco Design Team

Yarn: Knit Picks Swish Worsted in Conch, 9 1/2 balls (1155 yards)

Needles: US 8/ 5.0 mm

Time: 2 months

Modifications: I had a really hard time getting gauge with this sweater. I think it was actually designed for a DK or a Sport weight yarn. So I decided to use the fabric that pleased me most and knit a smaller size. I modified the neck opening to be 60 stitches wide, rather than 80. I also lengthened the sweater to be more of a tunic length, and knit garter bands on the hem, neck, and sleeves.

Things I would change: Even though I made the neck smaller than directed it is still wider than I would like. If I knit this again I would make the neck 50 stitches wide.