Mohair and Lace

This is apparently a year of completing abandoned projects. I finished both my Red tunic and purple tunic (I guess I was going through a tunic phase when I started these a few years ago), and now I have another finished object that has been saved from the obscurity of the UFO pile. Early last September I warped my loom with some handspun and started weaving with a ball of Kidsilk Haze from my stash.

I had never worked with mohair before, and wanted to see what would happen when I wove with it. I also had never worked with different colours in the warp and weft, and was curious to see what colour the finished fabric would read as.

I started with plain weave, then worked 3 rows of Brooks Bouquet lace about 6 inches from each end. The rest of the scarf is plain weave.

Initially the ends were finished with overhand knots, as I didn’t have a fringe twister and didn’t want to twist all those ends by hand.

I recently got a fringe twister from Fiber Artist’s Supply, so the ends have finally been twisted into a neat and tidy fringe.

Overall I’m pleased with how this experiment turned out. It’s light as air, and the lace is very pleasing. I am a bit worried about the prickle factor, but I find that fabrics seems less prickly when I am cold, so I am hoping this will not be a problem.