I have been knitting so much the last few
weeks months that I think I’ve reached the point of burnout. I finished mom’s Christmas socks, Grandma’s sweater just needs buttons and a little neck modification, and that weird scarf I started 3 years ago for a roommate has been finished as a rather short cowl. Plus, add a birthday cowl for me, a sweater for my adopted nephew, and 1 lone mitten. The second mitten is glaring at me (or, rather, the yarn is glaring at me), but I just can’t bring myself to work on it.
I have started a sewing project instead.
What’s an obsessed knitter to do when she has a growing assortment of knitting needles and nowhere to store them? Make a knitting needle case, of course. I had a few small pieces of fabric sitting around that went together reasonably well. Anyway, how hard can it be. All you have to do is sew straight lines! Well, it turns out that sewing straight lines is a little harder than I thought, but I’m happy with the result. It seemed a little plain when I was done, so in keeping with my floral print, I added some colourful wildflowers swaying in the breeze and finished it off with a lovely green ribbon to tie it closed.
I am happy to report to you that I made it safely back home yesterday evening. Let me tell you, going from the cool Washington temperatures (in the 70s F) to my home in the Southwest (over 100 for many, many days now) is a bit of a shock. I have barely gone outside all day. But that’s not unusual for here in the summer.
All this time indoors has given me the opportunity to work on a few projects I had put off for a while now. Do you remember a while back when I made my lovely striped maxi-skirt? Well at the same time that I bought that fabric I also bought fabric for another maxi-skirt. This one is cream and olive and is reversible. It was a bit tricky figuring the seams out where I joined the skirts together because I didn’t want any seams showing, but after much tearing out of stitches I’m pretty sure I finally got it right. I’ll post pictures in the near future.
The other project I’ve been working on is that piece for the back of my sweater that I showed you pictures of a while ago. In the pictures it’s still in several pieces and all that needed doing was to put it together with an edging. I’ve done that and am now just finishing a few details to make it extra pretty. I’ll post pictures when it’s done. I’m quite pleased with how it’s coming out, especially since I was afraid I wouldn’t have enough thread. But it turns out that I’ll have more than enough thread, so I have no more fear on that account.
Well, I meant to have pictures to show you today. I was quiet over the weekend, but that’s because I was busy. I told you the other day that the mas was going to be my next project, but that didn’t exactly turn out to be true. Sorry. I did 2 things between when I told you that and now: the first caters to my current fad, Doctor Who. I found a pattern on intatters.com for a TARDIS. I mean, what Whovian could resist a tatted TARDIS?? So I made that up, using a few techniques that were new to me. It was a learning and growing experience. And now I can fly away in a TARDIS of my own 😀
My second project was making a bag. I’ve excursioned into the world of sewing before, but this time I was all on my own and without a pattern. I found some really awesome-looking tatting bags at ds9designs.com and I really wanted some. But I tend to be of the mindset of “Why buy it when you can make it?” Usually it doesn’t work out too well for me, but this time it did. I am so pleased. I used some scrap fabric from a dress my mom and I made several years ago (kudos to me!!). I love the fabric so much! The outside is a variegated green satin – it’s a small piece so the colour doesn’t change too much, and the inside is made from a variegated creme-to-gold satin. I made the lining from the creme section and pockets from the gold.
So now I’ve got a bag and a TARDIS and I’m not afraid to use them! I’ll post pictures when photobucket decides to cooperate.
Today was a busy day! It’s my day off, so I decided to do something fun: namely, have one of my best friends over for the day. She and I are both into crafting and we’ve been working on making skirts. Since I had already bought fabric all that was left to me was to get to it and make the skirt. So we measured and thought and measured again, and after several mistakes and fixings this is what we came up with.
I was, Of course, quite pleased with the finished product. In case you want to try your hand at this simple project, I found the tutorial at http://elleapparel.blogspot.com/2011/09/maxi.html
But the day was not yet over! Dinner time was coming and my mission, should I choose to accept it, was to make dinner. My choice: Chicken Pot Pie. O ya, baby!
And it tasted good, too!!