I had a lot of car time yesterday since my fiancé and I drove all over the earth working on wedding stuff. I like to knit in the car, but I tend to get carsick, so I can only knit on the highway when it’s relatively smooth driving.
As you can see, my Wedding Shawl is nearly finished. I am on the last lace section, and once that is done it should be smooth sailing. I hope.
Sometimes a project takes a long time. This could be for a variety of reasons, but it usually boils down to 2 main ones: A) it’s a really big project, or B) I ignore it for a while (these can also work in combination with each other). I try to downplay how often the second reason is what’s going on, but I’ve come to realize that that is the case with my Wedding Shawl. Which is kind of bad because the wedding is in 38 days (yay!). I just started the 3rd lace section (for the 3rd time…and there is still a mistake. I’m ignoring it) on Waiting for Rain.
Also, granola bars are a great way to procrastinate. You really should try this recipe!
I have been interested in designing knitwear for a while, but it’s hard to know where to begin. I also, like most peole, am on a limited budget. So free is good. When I heard that Frenchie at Aroha Knits was hosting a (free) design-themed Knit-a-Long, I jumped at the chance to join. The challenge was to knit 5 mini-shawls in 5 days – and she provided directions. We were free to choose our own yarn and needles, and since the recipes she provided were very basic, we could also add stitch patterns if we so wished. I used US size 6 needles for all my shawls, but the yarn weights ranged from light fingering to worsted.
I’ve been toying with the idea of knitting myself a wedding shawl for a while now. I wanted something lacy, but I’m still a bit of a newbie at lace, so I needed something relatively easy as well. And I’m kind of picky about lace…. I finally decided on a shawl that I absolutely love – Waiting for Rain by Sylvia Bo Bilvia. I chose my yarn: Feza Yarns Harvest, a lovely coral pink for the garter sections, and Ella Rae Lace Merino, an undyed ecru for the lace accents.
I have had the hardest time getting started with this project, though. First, I kept forgetting to grab my needles on the way out the door. Then I forgot my ball winder. Then I had left the yarn at my fiancé’s apartment. Then I couldn’t find the pattern. I tried to be a smart knitter by prewashing the coral yarn so it wouldn’t bleed onto the white. But then when I went to wind the yarn it was very tangled – even though it was tied into the skein when I washed it. And then my cat decided it was a plaything, so I had to spend an entire day untangling it.
So here I am ready to start: I have my pattern, and I am even reading through the whole thing before starting. I have my needles – 2 different sets so I can decide which tips I prefer. I have the yarn wound into cakes.
What is it that makes us crafters abandon one project in favor of another? Boredom? Insurmountable problems? Short attention span?
I started my Smaug Shawl many months ago. But it was hard, so I moved on (Also, Christmas presents).
I started my Spruce Socks a few weeks ago. But then I found the Smaug Shawl, and it was magically easier than it used to be.
But now the rows on the Smaug Shawl are really, really long (320 stitches). Getting across a row is an accomplishment, and I’m starting to get a little bored… even though it is silk.
Also the fabulous gals over at Mason Dixon Knitting are hosting a one-sock Knit-a-long. Do I join? Do I stick firmly to my shawl? Do I work on the Spruce socks, or do I dig out some new sock yarn and start a different pair?
Too many choices….
P.S. A friend gave me some new fabric recently. I might have accidentally started cutting out a tank top.
Almost a year ago I bought a single skein of silk laceweight yarn. It was expensive, but I couldn’t help myself. The colours reminded me of the desert where I grew up – reds, oranges, and yellows. Home. This yarn was special and it needed to be knit up into a special project. And I had the perfect shawl pattern in mind…except I needed twice as much yarn as I had. So I began a search for a new pattern.
After a long and strenuous search on Ravelry I knew I was not going to find the perfect pattern. So rather than settle for imperfection I decided to make my own pattern. My shawl is based on Elizabeth Zimmermann’s Pi Shawl – every time the row number is doubled, the stitch count is doubled. I cast on, knit for a while, increased, knit for even longer, and then started a lace stitch pattern I had found.
And then the shawl sat neglected for…a long time. I came back to it a few days ago to find that 1) it hadn’t knit itself (darn!), and 2)the stitch pattern was a lot easier than I remember it being. Needless to say, I’ve been making some good progress on it over the last few days, and I couldn’t be more thrilled with how it is turning out!