Is anyone else struggling with Startitis right about now? I feel such a weight of “MAKE ALL THE THINGS NOW” that I hardly know what to do with myself. Do I give in to the madness and wake up next week with 25 projects, or struggle valiantly to finish at least a few of the things? Here’s what I’m currently working on.
- Slippers for Grandma (Ssh, don’t tell). I’m using this pattern and 2 yarns held together: the white is my own handspun (it’s a singles yarn in Southdown wool) and the pink is the leftovers from my Watermelon Socks.
- I’m in the middle of a crochet shawl using Miss Babs Yowza! in the colourway “Friday Afternoon.” Assuming I get it done in time, the pattern will be released in the March issue of Knotions Magazine.
- I’m a sucker for unusual patterns, and these socks have been on my list for a long time. Worked on US1 DPNs and using Knit Picks Felici in Mint Chip. I love KnitPicks sock yarns for their softness, thinness, and ability to be washed and dried(!) without harm or shrinkage to the sock. I try not to put them in the dryer, though, just to be on the safe side.
- I’ve had 6 balls of Burly Spun by the Brown Sheep Company since 2013 when I bought the yarn to make a jacket. I couldn’t get gauge, so the jacket never got made. This yarn has been weighing on me, so I decided to weave with it and make a long vest. This one is totally stash-busting. That makes it not count as a new project, right?
- And, of course, I have the Advent Bunting (today is day 6)…
What are you working on? Are you knitting gifts?
I don’t know about you, but February always seems so grey. You can’t ignore winter anymore, and inside is boring by now. I realized yesterday that my knitting isn’t helping any – I have so many projects started that I’m not making significant headway on any of them. So I decided to make a list (I love lists) and start working my way down it.
It’s a long list, mostly of things I’m in the middle of.
Firstly, a washcloth I started ages ago.
Second, spinning. Kitty is helping me with quality control.
And I pulled out my Green Thing. I love this pattern and these colours. Why have I not been working on it???
I look forward to finishing some more things soon. Watch this space!
Sometimes I want to knit all the things. But I don’t really want to knit them, I just want them to be knitted. I want to wear them with pride: “I made this.” Sometimes knitting is just too slow.
I want to knit this top, and I’m planning for Christmas already with this sweater. And then I want to knit shawls and a cardigan for work. And socks.
Right now I’m working on socks, but my wrists have rebelled against me. It seems the tight gauge is causing more strain than I thought. So now I am reduced to knitting only a few rounds a day if at all.
I’m also knitting on my Smaug shawl. It’s slow going with this one, since each row is over 300 stitches. At least this is at a loose enough gauge that it doesn’t cause pain. It doesn’t abate pain either.
Recently I have been craving garter stitch. I used to hate garter stitch. I didn’t like the way it looked. I have since seen the error of my ways. Garter stitch can be beautiful, and washcloths are useful, meditative, and easy. It’s amazing how having a simple project to work on during stressful moments soothes the soul.
Sometimes I have to be patient. I know if I work at knitting long enough I’ll eventually have a lot of items I can showcase with pride.